This week we marked the centenary of the birth of Ian Fleming, the sad passing of Earle Hagen and Alexander Courage and the space-time-continuum-busting news that both Kylie and Jason turned 40 this week.
You can catch a repeat of the show when it goes out on Wednesday 11 June from 10pm – midnight, either by tuning in to 98.8 FM (in and around Edinburgh) or online via the Leith FM website.
A great new reissue from Dutton Vocalion:
1. Biddu – Journey to the Moon (Futuristic Journey / Eastern Man, 1977/2008)
David Holmes is coming to Edinburgh next Saturday:
Another great reissue from Dutton Vocalion:
3. David Lindup – Grand Slam (When The Saints Go, 1970/2008)
The first of our tributes to Earle Hagen:
You can find lots more versions of Harlem Nocturne here.
The first of our tracks celebrating the centenary of Ian Fleming’s birth:
5. Ray Barretto – Thunderball (Señor 007, 1965/2001)
Brand new track from a great new unsigned band from Mainz:
6. The Low Shoe Orchestra – Rise of the Colossus (Through The Black Hole, 2008)
Bill Cosby is selling his jumpers (see story below):
7. Bill Cosby – Can’t Get No Satisfaction (Hooray for the Salvation Army Band, 1968)
Earle Hagen also composed many classic TV show themes, including:
8. Dick Hyman – Theme from I Spy (The Man From O.R.G.A.N., 1965)
More Ian Fleming tributes:
9. Ingfried Hoffmann – From Russia With Love (Hammond Bond, 2007)
10. Jean-Jacques Perrey – Mister James Bond (The Out Sound From Way In!, 1969)
Two great MPS reissues:
11. The Mike Nock Underground – The Squire (Between Or Beyond, 1970)
12. Monty Alexander – Monticello (Alexander The Great – Monty Swings On MPS, 1973)
Another track from the Biddue reissue which spookily chimes in with the Ian Fleming centenary:
13. Biddu – James Bond Disco Theme (Journey Into Fantasy) (Futuristic Journey / Eastern Man, 1977/2008)
Keeping it disco, we paid tribute to the passing of Alexander Courage:
14. Eumir Deodato – Theme From Star Trek (Do It Again, 1976)
Kylie and Jason turn 40 (see news story below too):
15. Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra – Can’t Get You Out of My Mind (Hits the Hits!, 2007)
16. Gabor Szabo – Sealed With A Kiss (1969, 1969)
Loads of people have covered the James Bond theme but I think this is the only Ian Fleming Theme out there:
We closed the show with a lovely ska version of Earle Hagen’s classic:
18. New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble – Harlem Nocturne (New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble, 1995)
- Ian Fleming centenary last Wednesday
- Kylie and Jason both turn 40 this week.
- UPDATE: Phoenix lander not smashed to smithereens and here.
- What to do with 602,000 match sticks
- Bill Cosby sells sweaters (the auction is taking place here)
- Space inconvenience and here and here.
- Monkey brain controls robot arm
- Japanese woman lives in cupboard
- A T-shirt with picture on it poses a threat to air safety?
- Uncontacted Amazon Tribe
- Placebo pills made for kids
- Ghost in a bottle
- Teen figures fast way to decompose plastic bags
- Unshredder can put your documents back together
- Space beer