Today marked our first anniversary of doing live shows on this broadcast of Leith FM, so happy birthday to us! We chose to celebrate the occasion by playing some birthday-themed tunes, some of our favourite tracks from the last 12 months as well as some new material.
You can catch a repeat of the show when it goes out on Wednesday 25 June from 10pm – midnight, either by tuning in to 98.8 FM (in and around Edinburgh) or online via the Leith FM website.
1. Delia Derbyshire – Happy Birthday (BBC Radiophonic Music, 1968)
2. The Folkswingers – Dona Dona (Raga Rock, 1966)
Listener (and occasional guest) Jeff nominated this next track because apparently it was first track we played on a Leith FM show way back in 2004:
3. Liberty Studio Orchestra – Zabadek
4. Lalo Schifrin – Turn Every Stone (Mannix, 1999)
5. Tätärä – Orion (Next Show)
Former regular co-presenter Fuz made a return to the show today (albeit in pre-recorded form) as he dedicated this next track to MC Zirconium:
6. Tommy Seeback – Baby Elephant Walk
7. Perrey & Kingsley – One Note Samba/Spanish Flea (Kaleidoscopic Vibrations, 1967)
8. Chris Joss – Count the Daisies (Teraphonic Overdubs, 2008)
9. Slim Gaillard – How High the Moon (Slim Gaillard Rides Again, 1958)
10. Louis Prima & Keely Smith With Sam Butera & The Witnesses – Angelina/Zooma Zooma (Ultra-Lounge: Wild, Cool & Swingin’ – Artist Collection, Vol. 1 [Disc 2], 1957)
11. David McCallum – The Edge (Music-A Part Of Me / Music: A Bit More Of Me, 1966)
12. Dick Hyman – Living on Borrowed Time (Fabulous, 1963)
I went to see a band who played a formative role in my musical taste last night and while they’re not the sort of band we might normally play on the show I managed to find a track of theirs that was almost up our street:
13. A Certain Ratio – Tumba Rhumba (I’d Like To See You Again, 1982)
14. Music for Aardvarks and Other Mammals – Birthday (Grumpy, 2006)
The great J Saul Kane is still making great music nearly 20 years after he first started recording as Depth Charge. His label DC Recordings has a great new compilation out which we played a track from:
Also on that compilation are a new band to Project Moonbase’s ears and they have new album out of their own:
16. Padded Cell – Savage Skulls (Night Must Fall, 2008)
Fuz’s second pre-recorded contribution to the show was this, er, Mike Batt production:
17. Synthesonic Sounds – Superfly
Russell T Davies got an OBE (see story below) so we went out with this cheesy disco version of the Dr Who theme:
18. Ron Grainer – Playing It Cool (Dr Who Theme) (1979)
- UPDATE: iTunes U – UK university lectures on iTunes.
- Cloak of silence.
- Hairhats (via EPIC FU).
- Moustache battle.
- Cuba approves free sex-change operations.
- Would the owner of this Cambodian Air Dream jet please collect it from Hanoi airport?
- Sega E.M.A. Robot ready to kiss.
- David Byrne’s ‘Playing the Building’ also here and here.
- Pluto or Plutoid.
- Birthday honours: RTD OBE and Des O’Connor CBE.
- Moog electric guitar.