|We have been enjoying London-based trio Hong Kong in the 60s‘ dreamy use of rudimentary analogue technology up here at the Moonbase since the release of their debut EP Willow Pattern Songs in 2009. Since then there has been a freely-downloadable EP Places as well as a collaboration with The Advisory Circle for a slice of 7″ vinyl on Ghost Box.However, delightful news recently reached us that the band’s long-awaited debut album My Fantoms has finally been released. And a thing of wonder it is too. Warm woozy electronics playing beautifully naive melodies over primitive drum machine rhythms, with delicately delivered vocals from librarian Mei Yau Kan. Synaesthetes will find that listening to the album conjures up a sensation of playing with a large multi-coloured plastic abacus on a Summer’s day.
You can listen to all the tracks on the album and buy the download version right now for the very modest sum of £6. The CD edition will be coming out on 2 May. You can find more information about the album on the band’s website.
To mark the auspicious arrival of their debut album, Hong Kong in the 60s are playing a few dates over the next few months. The most exciting of which is in the form of a support slot for the High Llamas in London on 22 May 2011.
Listen to the Show!
- PAUSE Project Moonbase – Not in service
- PMB S03E05 Basil: The Kirchin Experience (Ivor & Basil Kirchin Band, The Basil Kirchin Band, Johnny Keating, Broadcast, The High Llamas, Stereolab, Basil Kirchin & Jack Nathan)
- Britain’s top Swing band | The Ivor & Basil Kirchin Band – Drum Fire Dance | video
- PMB S03E04 Shapes (Michael Cole/Michael Jessett, Sellorekt/LA Dreams, i am robot and proud, The Pierre Arvay Orchestra, Jez Butler, John Baker, [PHYSICS], Bernie Green & His Orchestra, Harmonic 33, Griff, Csum, Acts Travel, N99, Our Albert)
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu – HARAJUKU IYAHOI | Cossack biz | Video
- PMB S03E03 Like (Tokyo Elvis, Robots With Rayguns, YMCK, Osaka Shunkashuto, S U R V I V E, The Karminsky Experience Inc, Le Matos, Leggysalad, Droid Bishop, Circus Brekovic, Venetian Snares, The TechnoMagic, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu)
designer, illustrator andyfielding