We’ve been thinking for a while that it was about time we tackled some of the grand themes of modern life. However, before tackling more controversial topics such as politics, religion, sex or the lighter side of death, we thought we’d start by looking at the world of commerce. This was largely prompted by the latest release on Jonny Trunk’s record label which is an 81(!) track collection of advertising work by that genius Barry Gray. Best known for his work on Gerry Anderson’s TV productions such as Thunderbirds, UFO, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and Space 1999, it may come as a surprise to learn that Barry Gray also had an illustrious career composing music for commercials.
So sit back and enjoy a selection of songs about oil, tobacco, coffee makers, biscuits, gin and of course combine harvesters.
We should also mention that we discovered a stowaway at the Moonbase! Yes, that renegade Space Disco Jeff has returned for a second show.
Project Moonbase is listener supported. So next time you buy anything from Amazon, please go via our Amazon affiliate link. It won’t cost you anything, is totally anonymous and best of all it helps keep the show running. Thank you!
The Unnecessary News
- Film-maker defends speeding up a hill past a lorry at 91mph in rhyming couplets
- Man who dropped ring down toilet 73 years ago reunited with it
- Petri dish brain has 12 second memory
- 10-year-old wrestles 6-foot alligator before capturing it and dragging it home
- Planking in Taiwan
- Nazis tried to build army of talking dogs to help win World War Two